These are my healthy vegan rice crispy treats, I know these evoke many childhood memories for me, but I’ve kicked the flavours and textures up a notch to make them a little more “grown up”. These treats consist of puffed rice cereal, almonds and toasted coconut flakes, enveloped in a sticky maple, cinnamon and almond butter sauce 🙌🏻
I usually bake with coconut oil which has a neutral taste, but I love the subtle taste of coconut that comes through in these treats, and have found that the coconut oil with a natural taste really helps bring that through. My other preference here is to use white almond nut butter, or macadamia butter, they are both light in colour, and they don’t have an overpowering flavour , so they create both the prettiest and most delicious end result.
So how exactly are we making these stick together if were not using the traditional method? Well, that is my favourite part! By combining the nut butter, coconut oil, and maple syrup in a pot and bringing it to a quick boil, we will be creating a delicious sticky caramel that binds them togethar. Make sure to very tightly pack the mixture once you transfer it to the pan, the tighter the better!
I hope you love these as much as I do! On a side note, They will keep in the fridge for up to a week, but are best eaten on days 1-3 , as they do start to soften slightly after that.
Rice Crispie Treats
- 3 cups puffed rice/rice cereal
- 1/3 cup whole almonds
- ½ cup toasted coconut flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup + 2 tbsp nut butter (I love using almond or macadamia)
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Line a 20×20 baking pan with parchment paper or cling wrap and set aside for later.
- Roughly chop almonds and toasted coconut flakes. Add to large mixing bowl with puffed rice and cinnamon, give it a quick stir and set aside.
- Combine the maple syrup, coconut oil and nut butter in a saucepan over medium heat and stir until smooth. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for just a minute. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla essence and a pinch of salt.
- Pour over dry ingredients and stir in, folding mixture until everything is evenly coated.
- Pour into prepared baking pan and use a rubber spatula to smooth and very tightly pat down the mixture.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 4 hours before removing to slice into squares treats.
- Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge.