This muffin batter consists of an easy one bowl recipe, and it’s impossible to mess it up. These muffins are airy, light and filled with delicious blueberries. They provide the perfect balance between being tart and sweet, while the crumble on top gives them a nice crispy crunch as well as adding a bit of extra sweetness to finish.
Now, here’s a little trick to help the blueberries stay evenly distributed throughout the muffin: You put them in a small bowl with some flour, give it a few shakes to make sure they are all coated and then place them in a sieve to get rid of any excess flour. This helps the blueberries cling to the batter, and makes sure they don’t all go sinking down to the bottom of your muffins, your welcome 😉
Vegan Blueberry Muffins (makes 8)
- 1 ½ cups flour + extra 2 tbsp for dusting blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup almond milk
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 full mounting cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp demerara /brown sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (in its solid state)
- Preheat oven to 200C and line a muffin tin/ spray with cooking spray.
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder together in a bowl.
- Add the almond milk, vanilla essence and oil, and whisk until just combined (don’t over work the batter)
- Toss the blueberries and extra flour together in a bowl until they are completely coated, pour into sieve to get rid of any extra flour.
- Gently Fold the blueberries into the batter with a spatula.
- Pour batter into lined/prepared muffin tin and start on the crumble.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl, mix together using your finger tips until you have what resembles breadcrumbs.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the muffins and place into oven to bake for 30-35 mins, check with skewer for doneness.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature before removing from the tin.
*Notes: These muffins freeze well, so I often make a double batch and keep the extra one stored in the freezer in and airtight container.