These squares were inspired by one of my favourite snacks, loads of good old peanut butter on a piece of toasted seed loaf bread! I had so much fun creating these, and after a few failed attempts I finally nailed it. I hope you will enjoy them as much as I do, I’m sure once you’ve tried them, they will become one of your go to snacks too!
Crunchy seeds, creamy dreamy peanut butter AND silky chocolate, whats not to love?
I chose a mixture of seeds that I enjoy, however the recipe will work just as well with whatever you have in your pantry as a substitute. These are pretty rich, so when you are making your slices, just bear that in mind, a little goes a long way here. Enjoy and let me know what you think!
Vegan Seedy Peanut Butter Squares
- ½ cup oats
- ½ cup heaped pitted dates (if dried, soak for 25 mins in boiling water then drain)
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbs chia seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/8 cup peanut/almond butter
- 1/8 cup maple (use honey if your not vegan)
Peanut butter layer:
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 6 tbsp maple syrup (honey)
- ½ cup coconut flour
- 120 g chocolate ( I use Honest chocolates 70% slab)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Heat up a pan over medium heat and toast the oats until golden, then set aside in a medium mixing bowl. Next add all the seeds to the pan and toast until fragrant (keep an eye on them, they can burn easily) Add to the bowl and allow to cool.
- In a blender, process the dates until it’s all chopped up, transfer to the bowl with oats and seeds.
- Pour maple syrup and peanut butter into a heatproof mug, and microwave in 20 sec increments, stirring until smooth.
- Add the peanut butter mix to the oats, seeds and dates, and mix until it’s all incorporated and deliciously sticky.
- Pour the mixture into a prepared baking tray ( with parchment paper going all the way up and over the sides, I used a large bread loaf tin) and smooth with a wet spatula. Make sure to get it nice and tightly packed, you want the base to hold together well.
- Chill in freezer for at least 30 mins to harden while preparing next layer.
Peanut butter layer:
- Add the peanut butter, coconut flour and maple syrup to a bowl. Fold with spatula until you have a very thick mixture that clumps together (it should almost resemble a sturdy cookie dough)
- Once the mixture is combined, spread onto the seed layer with a spatula, and once again press down well.
- Place back in the freezer while you make your last layer. Almost there!
- Chop up the chocolate and put in a heatproof bowl with the coconut milk and coconut oil. Microwave in 20 sec increments, stirring until melted and combined (don’t microwave it for longer stretches, because the mixture could split)
- Pour over the peanut butter layer and garnish with chopped peanuts and a sprinkling of flaky sea salt if desired. Leave in refrigerator to set for at least 4 hours.
- Lift out the parchment paper, and slice into squares or slices using a dry hot knife. Enjoy!
*Notes: Once set, you can keep these in the fridge, or store in an airtight container in a cool dry place.